Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring into Action

This week is Cal Poly's first week back for the Spring quarter. Last week (Cal Poly's spring break) was a low key week, just meeting with students and friends. This week felt like jumping into a rushing river. Our campus directors had taken last quarter "off", they spent it on a trip to New Zealand getting details hammered out for the summer trip they are leading, leading a retreat and attending a conference to name a few things. We say they were "off" because the rest of us staff told them to let go of student events and focus on everything else they had going on, which meant staff meetings last quarter were much more low key and instead of staff development we did extended staff prayer. This week it was all back on.

Today was 5 hours of staff catching up, working on schedules, discussing what we hoped for this quarter and more. Last quarter ended a bit chaotic, we did a fun event at our place instead of our normal Gathering for finals week. Before it started, as I cleaned and made treats Tom got a call from a student; one of our student friends, during a fun study break danced around flinging his arms and hit his finger on a light, shattering the light and cutting the tendon in his finger. Instead of his final that night he was at the hospital getting surgery. Tom went in to say hi before it went down. After this the students started showing up and come to find out a freshman guy of ours got engaged, a shock needless to say. Our heads were spinning.

Then during spring break, another student friend of ours had attempted switching majors and was declined. He has since decided to go home and start applying to other schools with that major. We are all sad to see him go, he is really an awesome guy with some really cool insights into the bible. We hope to keep the friendship going. Tom and I had been blessed to meet his family before and so when his dad came down today to pack him up and drive him home we got to have dinner with them and say goodbye. They are such an awesome family! They blessed us to by giving us an adorable baby onesie that says "Happy Camper @ Mount Hermon" and a cute little cross. They live at Mount Hermon and when Tom and I took a vacation there (hurray for pastors discounts!) in December is when we got to have dinner with them at their home.


Today I also got to hang out with a freshman friend who is back. We went to Avila, got treats, walked on the beach and swung on the swings. It was fun to catch up and this quarter she will be able to attend both our weekly Gathering and our Girls Bible Study which I think will be so awesome for her, she is such a friendly and fun girl!

Tomorrow is another busy day, an old high school friend will be in town so I will be having dinner with her before our first Girls bible study which I'm really looking forward to, it's been at least a year since we hung out.

Last night was our first Gathering back as well, it went really well. The home we normally meet at is undergoing some remodeling so until that is finished we are meeting at another older couple's home (mid 70's). The guy, Larry has been involved with Navigators SLO for a number of years and last year he married a wonderful lady Kay who has enthusiastically joined in. They have been coming to the Gathering and willingly offered their home whenever there was need. We are so thankful for people who are willing to open their homes, it's so awesome and makes the Gathering feel so much more comfortable then being in some formal setting.

I don't want to make this into a pregnancy blog but it's really just so exciting, I'm 4 1/2 months and I'm 99% sure I have been feeling the baby move. It's the weirdest feeling and so crazy, I still have moments where I completely forget about being pregnant. My tummy has doubled in size over the last week though even though I have only gained 2 pounds since my first doctors appointment, which seems crazy because I look as if I have gained at least 10. Nearing in on those maternity pants, won't be too much longer. Both our mom's want a girl, Tom's mom had twin boys and my mom already has a grandson, Joseph. Tom and I both hope for a boy, I like the idea of the big brother. Though I know a girl will be fun with all the cute clothes. It's so hard I just want to go out and register and start putting the nursery together. I love organizing and planning. Whenever the urge gets to strong I start working on my knitting projects for baby and that helps some. There are so many things I want to make for our baby but I doubt I will have time for it all.


No comments: