Friday, January 1, 2010

Three circles

Our campus director Mark shared about this idea of three circles, one representing "my world" meaning the Christian world. In this circle would be things like going to Church on Sunday, worshiping through song and prayer, quiet times etc. The next circle is "our world" this circle is things that both Christians and non Christians enjoy such at going out to eat, movies, reading, sports and so on. The final circle is "their world" this is things non Christians do that make Christians uncomfortable like going out to bars and parties, drinking and swearing.

So often as Christians we meet non Christians in "our world" we meet friends and interact with them here. But eventually we try to draw non Christians into "my world" we invite them to church where there is worshipping and prayer. It is a place where they are uncomfortable, they don't know what to expect and are unsure of what is expected of them.

When we look to Jesus, we more often see him going into "their world" He walked into places most Christians would be scared to. As Christians we often make others bear the burden of being uncomfortable, we invite them into "my world" where they are unfamiliar because we for us it is so normal we don't even think about helping them understand it all. But we see Jesus going to the tax collectors home, eating among men that the Jews of that day would never consider ever being friends with. As Christians we are called to love, if we love people then we should be willing to bear the burden of being uncomfortable. God is not confined to a church building, He is everywhere. We can share His love any place. And I personally feel more loved by someone when they come to me, when they serve me where I am at.

Consider it this way, my cousin recently had a new baby boy. He has been a joy and her church family contacted her and has created a meal plan where people take meals to her. What a blessing! But imagine if instead no one contacted her expecting her to ask for help if she needed it. Or if they contacted her and gave her a list of names to ask meals from, or told her to come to the church to pick them up. She wouldn't feel as served. In fact it might even end up feeling like a burden. But why? I mean people are still making meals for her. They are still serving and even loving. But the thing is they are not coming out of their comfort zones, they are expecting the new mother to come to where they are.

I recently signed up to make a meal for an older lady who just came home from the hospital. The cooking for me was a joy. I love cooking. The delivery of the food was terrifying. I am shy by nature, I worry way to much about how people view me. And my home is my safe place, it's much easier to invite someone over then to go to their home. But, with God's encouragement, I went to her home, I gave her a meal, I sat in her living room, and had a good conversation with her. She felt more loved by me coming to her home, coming out of my way to serve her and love her. Our short conversations at church could never be as personal as was the one in her living room. I took an hour of my day, was uncomfortable for awhile and then walked away feeling loved and feeling blessed.

No it's not easy. And there will be times where it will be embarrassing and maybe painful. But deep and meaningful relationships can start to grow. Most Christians you talk to will probably say their first experiences with God where not inside church walls, God didn't wait for them to show up Sunday morning, He showed His love to them where they were. Even now, most of my deepest interactions with God are at my home, or with my family, the church is wonderful but it is not our medium to God, Jesus did that and now the Holy Spirit resides in us so we can constantly be in contact with God.

I urge you, Share with people, use what God has done in your life to share, explain how you read your bible in the morning to grow closer to God, and share a question you had about the verses you read that morning. Or what you learned. Explain why we do the things we do, why we go to church and seek fellowship, why we sing and raise our hands, why we love. 1 John 4:19 "We love because He first loved us" (NASB) embrace that promise. God loves you, even if you never do another thing in your life for Him, He loves you. When Jesus was baptized God expressed His love and pride for His son.... at this time Jesus had not even started His ministry. God loves you.

The Message
1 John 4:17-21 "God is love. When we take up permanent residence in a life of love, we live in God and God lives in us. This way, love has the run of the house, becomes at home and mature in us, so that we're free of worry on Judgement Day - our standing in the world is identical with Christ's. There is no room in love for fear. Well-formed love banishes fear. Since fear is crippling, a fearful life - fear of death, fear of judgement - is one not fully formed in love. We, though, are going to love - love and be loved. First we were loved, now we love. He loved us first. If anyone boasts, "I love God," and goes right on hating his brother or sister, thinking nothing of it, he is a liar. If he won't love the person he can see, how can he love the God he can't see? The command we have from Christ is blunt: Loving God includes loving people. You've got to love both.

No comments: